The non-profit-making organization (WAEC) following the cancellation of results of some BECE students over their involvement in examination malpractice has urged them to desist from what it describes as ‘results upgrading’.
In a blog post sighted by EducationWeb.com.gh, the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) said its examination result database is secured with 256-AES military-grade encryption and can not be hijacked or compromised.
“The Council is cautioning all stakeholders to be wary of fraudsters who promise to upgrade results for a fee. Candidates are to note that WAEC results are secured and can be authenticated,” the Council said on Monday.
Announcing the release of the 31st BECE School results, WAEC said the subject results of 138 candidates have been cancelled for the offence of either bringing in foreign materials into the exams hall or colluding with other candidates.
It also said the entire results of 46 Junior High School (JHS) students who participated in the national examination last year have been cancelled for the offence of either sending mobile phones into the examination hall or impersonation.
“The subject results of 148 candidates and the entire results of 109 candidates have been withheld pending the conclusion of investigations into various cases of alleged examination malpractice,” WAEC said in the blog post.
On grounds of exams malpractice, the Exams Body says the scripts of candidates from 24 schools in certain subjects are undergoing scrutiny. The withheld results it said may be cancelled or released based on the outcome of the probes.
Following the successful conduct of the just-ended BECE, WAEC has expressed its sincerest gratitude to the Ministry of Education (MoE), Ghana Education Service (GES), the Security Agencies, Supervisors, Invigilators and Examiners.
A total of 572,167 candidates made up of 287,730 males and 284,437 females entered for the national examination. Among the registered candidates, 61 had visual impairment and 321 were identified with hearing impairment.